Applications Manager, Statistical Computing Facility
Associate Adjunct Professor,
Department of Statistics
University of California, Berkeley
Office: 495 Evans Hall
Address: Department of Statistics, UC Berkeley, 367 Evans Hall #3860, Berkeley,CA 94720
Date and Place of Birth: November 14, 1951, New York City, NY.
- 1995-present Associate Adjunct Professor, Department of Statistics,
University of California at Berkeley
Develop and teach a two semester
Statistical Computing course for graduate students in Statistics,
Biostatistics and other fields.
As an instructor in University
Extension, develop and teach introductory courses in Perl and Python programming
- 1987-present Applications Manager and Consultant, Statistical
Computing Facility, Department of Statistics, University of California at
Evaluate and select software for use on the Statistics department's
network of computers. Assist faculty and students in research
and instructional computing. Develop software for statistical
computations, large scale simulations and administrative tasks.
Supervise students in
development of instructional software.
Provide campus wide support for statistical packages and statistical
- 1983-1987 Senior Research Statistician, SAS Institute Inc, Cary,
Develop and implement programs for linear model analysis,
specifically supporting and improving PROC GLM, including
rewriting multivariate analysis of variance programs, adding
facilities for repeated measures analysis and updating
documentation. Design and program elements of the SAS system
for microcomputers, including semantic actions and mathematical
and probability routines. Convert existing programs for use
on microcomputers, including introduction of interactivity.
Help coordinate conversion and updating of statistical procedures
among other software developers.
- 1982-1983 Assistant Research Statistician, Institute of Statistics,
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Coordinate and supervise graduate student consulting activities,
along with providing assistance to faculty and students regarding
design and analysis of experiments, and utilization of computers
for statistical analysis and data management. In conjunction with
the Data Processing Center, conduct university wide short courses on
the use of statistical software.
- 1975-1979 Research Associate, Eastman Dental Center, Rochester, NY
Develop methods for trace element analysis of dental tissue, and
supervise technicians in the implementation of these methods. Provide
assistance to experimenters in designing and analyzing clinical
trials and other experiments. Serve as co-principal investigator for
NIH supported projects, including preparing proposals and quarterly
reports. Develop and teach introductory statistics and experimental
design course to post-graduate dental students.
- 1973-1975 Teacher, Greece Central School District, Greece, NY
- 1981-1983 Ph.D., Statistics, Texas A&M University. "Analysis of
Variance with Autocorrelated Errors," H. Joseph Newton, advisor.
- 1979-1981 M.S., Statistics, Texas A&M University
- 1976-1979 Major in Applied Statistics, University of Rochester
- 1969-1973 B.A., Chemistry, University of Rochester
- 1982 W.S. Connor Award for outstanding graduate student in
Institute of Statistics, Texas A&M University
- 1988 MAP (Management and Professional Program) Incentive Award,
University of California, Berkeley
- 2000 University Extension Teaching Incentive Award
- Curzon, M.E.J and Spector, P.C. Enamel mottling in a high strontium
area of the USA. Comm. Dent. Oral Epid. 5:243-247, 1977
- Spector, P.C. and Curzon, M.E.J. Relationship of strontium in
drinking water and surface enamel. J. Dent. Res. 57:55-58, 1978
- Spector, P.C. and Newton, H.J. The bias of the MLE of Box's degrees of
freedom correction factor in ANOVA. Communications in Statistics-Theory
and Methods, 11:2937-2945, 1982
- Spector, Phil Repeated Measures analysis in PROC GLM. Proceedings of
the 9th SAS User's Group 738-747, 1984
- Spector, Phil Suitability of microcomputers for statistical analysis.
Proceedings of the 10th SAS User's Group 978-981, 1985
- Spector, Phil Strategies for repeated measures analysis of variance.
Proceedings of the 12th SAS User's Group 1174-1177, 1987
- [book]Freund, Rudolf, Littell, Raymond and Spector, Phil SAS system for
linear models, SAS Institute, North Carolina, 1986
- Breiman, Leo and Spector, Philip Submodel Selection and Evaluation in
Regression: The X-Random Case. International Statistical Review
- Spector, Phil Writing UNIX Commands. 24th Symposing on the Interface,
College Station, TX, 1992
- [book]Spector, Phil An Introduction to S and S-plus,
Duxbury Press, Belmont, CA, 1994
- Bickel, P.J., Cosman, P.C, Olshen, R.A, Spector, P.C., Rodrigo, A.G, and
Mullins, J.J. Covariability of V3 Loop Amino Acids. Aids Research and
Human Retroviruses12:1401-1411, 1996.
- Bickel, P.J., Kechris, K.J., Spector, P.C., Wedemayer, G.J., and Glazer, A.N.
Finding important sites in protein sequences. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 99(23):14764-14771, 2002.
- Ritchie L., Spector P., Stevens M., Hudes M., Mandel S., and Crawford P. Food Patterns Among Adolescent White Girls: The NHLBI Growth and Health Study. 27th US National Nutrient Databank Conference, Washington, DC, June 30 - July 2, 2003.
- Ritchie, L., Spector, P.,Stevens, M., Schmidt, M.,Schreiber, G.,Striegel-Moore, R.,
Wang, M., and Crawford, P. Dietary Patterns in Adolescence Are Related
to Adiposity in Young Adulthood in Black and White Females.
The Journal of Nutrition 137:2, 399-406}, 2007.
- [book]Spector, Phil Data Manipulation with R,Springer, New York, 2008 (also translated into Japanese).